Gluten Free Cornbread Muffins

8:26 AM

There are a handful of things I have been missing dearly since becoming gluten free. One of those is what I call my favorite kind of bread -- cornbread. Ironically, though the name would suggest, it is not purely made out of corn. The recipe almost always calls for wheat flour. I decided to finally make some for myself for Friendsgiving, and it was a success! I referenced this recipe by glutenfreefollowme for proportions and went through my cabinet to make it my own, as is my norm for whatever reason. I must say, these are super fluffy, moist, and cure that cornbread craving without the gluten-induced pain for my fellow gluten free folk.

Gluten Free Cornbread Muffins
This is also one of my many recipe attempts to use up almond pulp. If you make your own nut milk, you know how much pulp you're left with! Don't throw it away! There is so much you can make with it. Just search "Almond Pulp" on my blog to find what I've come up with. I just store it in the freezer and defrost overnight in the fridge when I'm ready to use it.
As happens when I make up my own recipe, the original proportions don't produce the desired result, so I typically need to add more liquid or more dry ingredients, and hope for the best! I always jot down measurements on a notepad, fully expecting to make adjustments for the next time I try the recipe out. This one, however, somehow, turned out perfectly on the first try (after adding extra liquid because grits are THICK).
Gluten Free Cornbread Batter
 I've tried this recipe in a loaf pan as well, and it works beautifully. Simply add about 5 more minutes to your bake time and voila! I might try these on a pan next (a cornbread pancake?). These are best served with some butter and honey on top. I've also tried it with some homemade orange marmalade. Mmmm!
Gluten Free Cornbread Muffins

Gluten Free Cornbread Muffins

Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter, melted (plus 1/2 tbsp to grease muffin tin)
1 1/2 cup almond milk (can substitute with any nut milk) (use TINYTEATHINGS for 10% off of an Ellie's Best nut milk bag)
1/2 cup almond milk pulp (can substitute with 1/2 cup almond meal)
1 egg
1 1/4 cup corn grits (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 cup Gluten Free 1 for 1 Flour (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400F (bake 22 min)
2) Combine all wet ingredients in a large bowl
3) Add dry ingredients to the wet mixture, stirring until just combined
4) Grease muffin tins with butter (can substitute with some coconut oil or avocado oil)
5) Fill muffin tin with batter, 3/4 of the way up.
6) Bake for 22 minutes (27 minutes if using loaf pan instead of muffin tin)
7) Optional: serve with butter and honey

Happy Cornbread Eating,
<3 TTT

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Tiny Tea Things

As and owner of over 70 varieties of tea, I decided that it was about time I started reviewing them. My collection of tea evolved as a method of coping through the many college struggles… specifically, starting after Freshmen year. Not only do I want to share my favorite (and not favorite) teas with you, I also would love another reason to buy and drink more teas.

Read more...

#tea on Instagram

Subscribe