Lemon Honey Tea Muffins

8:59 AM

Are you ready for this incredible muffin recipe? It's the texture of a Madeline cookie, with the zing of lemon, and love of honey and tea. And yes, it's gluten free.

Lemon Honey Tea Muffin Recipe, Gluten Free
Some friends and I have recently been joking about how all blog recipes have paragraphs upon paragraphs before you get to the recipe itself (I'm a total culprit of this, too! I mean, we are bloggers at heart!), so I will keep this one short and sweet. Just make these dang muffins. You won't regret it.

Lemon Honey Tea Muffin Recipe, Gluten Free
One thing I will say here is that the science of these muffins is so interesting! I had so much trial and error to come up with the perfect batter, including rest time. When I didn't let the batter rest, the muffins came out super dense (ironically, even though the batter was bubblier and fluffier). When I mixed the batter after letting it bubble like a witches brew, only to break up a lot of those bubbles, the muffins came out fluffier. If you know why that is, please let me know. Also, the extra 2 tbsp of flour really do make a difference.

Another fun fact: You need both baking powder and baking soda because the baking soda helps create that beautiful fluffy texture, but if you only use baking soda, that lemon flavor will be muted as the acidity reacts with it. The baking powder has components that react with itself when wet, so it doesn't need the lemon juice necessarily. (Honey is also acidic, weirdly enough!) 

OK, now I'm done typing, I swear.
Lemon Honey Tea Muffin Recipe, Gluten Free
Pin me to save for later!


Lemon Honey Tea Muffins

Ingredients:
1 1/2 c almond flour
1/2 c gluten free flour blend (I use Ryze or Bob's Red Mill 1 for 1 baking flour)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp coconut flour (can be substituted with almond flour if needed)
2 eggs, room temperature
1/2 c honey
juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tbsp), room temperature
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/4 c coconut oil, melted (extra to grease muffin tin)
1/2 c brewed black tea, room temperature

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400F
2) Mix the dry ingredients (first 5 ingredients) in a medium bowl
3) Mix wet ingredients (last 6 ingredients) in a large bowl. Make sure these wet ingredients are room temperature or the coconut oil will solidify.
4) Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until combined. It will bubble! Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes, then stir once more. This will decrease some of the volume that was created when the acid and baking soda/powders mixed, and will result in a better bake.
5) Meanwhile, grease your muffin tin. I prefer to use coconut oil, but you can use any oil or non-stick spray
6) Fill each muffin cup about 3/4 of the way (about 1/4 c batter)
7) Bake them for 16 minutes
8) Let them cool for about 5 minutes, then enjoy!

Happy muffin baking,
<3 TTT

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Tiny Tea Things

As and owner of over 70 varieties of tea, I decided that it was about time I started reviewing them. My collection of tea evolved as a method of coping through the many college struggles… specifically, starting after Freshmen year. Not only do I want to share my favorite (and not favorite) teas with you, I also would love another reason to buy and drink more teas.

Read more...

#tea on Instagram

Subscribe