Butternut Squash and Fennel Soup Recipe

2:16 PM

In my effort to explore vegetables that I hadn't used before, I bought myself a beautiful butternut squash and a bulb of fennel. Never in my life had I cooked with these two before. I thought to myself, why not try to make a soup? It can't be that hard, right? And let me tell ya, it's so super easy.

 First, I roasted my veggies in the oven while I cooked up some homemade stock on the stove. This is also super easy. Into a sauce pot, I put in a few left over broccoli stalks, the scraps of the fennel (stalk, fronds), a slice of onion, a carrot cut into 4-5 pieces, salt and soy sauce to taste. Cover that with water and let it simmer for 2 hours. Homemade veggie stock makes a world of difference. For the roasted veggies, I had the butternut squash, fennel bulb, and a quarter of an onion, covered generously with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
I let the veggies cool a bit while I let the stock continue simmering. Once that was done and strained, I sautéed some garlic, added in the roasted goodness and stock, let is simmer for a bit longer, and pulverized it with my new KitchenAid Immersion Blender. Love this thing! It is so powerful. And voila! Easy soup to make while you're watching TV at home, cleaning, or just hanging around.

Yield: 4 appetizer servings or 2 meal servings

Ingredients:
1/2 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 bulb of fennel, sliced
1/4 of an onion, chopped roughly
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
2 cloves of garlic
2 cups of stock (I used homemade, but you can use any low sodium stock)
Optional: 1 tbsp greek yogurt per serving and a couple fennel fronds

Directions:
1) Toss butternut squash, fennel and onion in 2 tbsp olive oil, salt, and pepper on a baking sheet covered with foil
2) Bake veggies at 425F for 25 minutes, or until fork tender
3) Sautee garlic in 1 tbsp olive oil on medium heat in a sauce pan until golden and fragrant
4) Add stock and roasted veggies to the saucepan
5) Bring to a simmer and let it simmer for 10 minutes
6) Transfer to a large bowl and blend until creamy and smooth with an immersion blender
7) Top with greek yogurt and fennel fronds
8) Enjoy!

Happy Butternut Squash Soup making
<3 TTT


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Tiny Tea Things

As and owner of over 70 varieties of tea, I decided that it was about time I started reviewing them. My collection of tea evolved as a method of coping through the many college struggles… specifically, starting after Freshmen year. Not only do I want to share my favorite (and not favorite) teas with you, I also would love another reason to buy and drink more teas.

Read more...

#tea on Instagram

Subscribe