Soothe Your Sore Throat With These Teas

10:07 PM

As flu season is upon us and allergies are quickly approaching, We thought we'd share a couple of ways that we cope with that dreadful sore throat. Whether you have a sore throat from coughing all night, talking a lot, singing, or from allergies, we have two teas that do the trick for us.




First up is Throat Coat with Lemon and Echinacea from Traditional Medicines. I (Vivian) discovered this tea when, on a trip to Lake Tahoe, I was coughing up a storm, not letting myself or my friends sleep. Out of desperation, I made my friends take me to the grocery store to look for a remedy. Of course, when I go into any grocery store, I have to stop by the tea section. My eyes gravitated towards this product and I knew at once that I wanted to try it.
This is a miracle worker. It literally coats your throat with sweet goodness. And the best part is that the soothing nature of this tea lasts for quite some time; at least an hour. To brew, put the bag in a mug and pour hot water over it. This tea needs to steep for 15 minutes, so put a ceramic plate on top to hold in the heat and set your timer. Once 15 minutes are up, remove the plate, squeeze the tea bag a little bit, discard it, and enjoy your tea! I typically drink this once during the day and once 30 minutes to an hour before I go to sleep, although the packaging says you can drink this up to three times a day. I have recommended this as a sore throat remedy to at least 5 people, all of whom really enjoyed it minus one who agreed with me on it's soothing qualities but could not get past the flavor. As I was reading online reviews of this product, I came across numerous that were from singers who used this before and/or after a performance.
I personally think that this tea is delicious. The echinacea makes it subtly sweet, just on the back of your tongue. The lemon flavor is very pleasant and not overpowering. It is delicious on its own, but feel free to add some honey.

Our second recommendation is a concoction of sorts. First you will need brewed green or oolong tea.  These types of tea boost your immune system and taste best with the other ingredients. (You can also use rooibos if you are sensitive to caffeine and are drinking this at night). Next, add a pinch of cayenne pepper (to soothe your throat and help with the bacteria), a teaspoon of lemon juice, and a teaspoon of honey. The taste is not the best, but you can instantly feel it working. The heat of the cayenne pepper helps calm your throat of soreness, although you will feel the heat. The honey helps with your throat and combats the spice of the cayenne. This tea also doubles as a metabolism booster.

We hope these teas help you and your throat this season!

TTT <3

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Tiny Tea Things

As and owner of over 70 varieties of tea, I decided that it was about time I started reviewing them. My collection of tea evolved as a method of coping through the many college struggles… specifically, starting after Freshmen year. Not only do I want to share my favorite (and not favorite) teas with you, I also would love another reason to buy and drink more teas.

Read more...

#tea on Instagram

Subscribe