Homemade Chicken Stock

10:00 AM

Once I figured out how easy it was to make my own broth (vegetable or chicken), I have rarely since purchased boxed broth. It's so delicious, there are no preservatives, and I can control how much salt I add. It's also a delicious way to use up what you would have thrown out. I hope you give this broth a try and I hope it changes your soup game.

I don't use measurements in this recipe because it's all up to you and your taste. It'll also depend on what you have on hand, because a large portion of this stock is veggie scraps. What is that, you ask? Well, it's the peel of the carrot you used for a sauté, it's the butt of an onion you were going to throw away, it's the stalk of broccoli, it's the fronds of fennel, it's any piece of any vegetable you were going to throw away. There are only a few key ingredients that I add each time -- the bulk of it, the scraps, changes each time and creates a fun touch of new flavor. To make chicken stock, I simply added the remains of a rotisserie chicken that I was about to throw out (the bones, the remaining skin/meat). If you would like to make this vegetarian, simply omit the chicken and add more veggies.

Ingredients:
Veggie scraps (I used carrot peel, end of an onion I chopped earlier, fennel fronds, young stalks of celery, cilantro stems)
1 carcass of a rotisserie chicken (omit for veggie)
4 Bay leaves
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1/2 an onion, roughly chopped
Water to cover
Salt, soy sauce, or coconut aminos to taste

Directions:
1) Put all ingredients into a large pot
2) Cook on medium heat at a simmer for 2-3 hours
3) Strain the broth
4) Use immediately or store in the fridge for up to a week
** If making chicken broth, the broth will form solid film at the top when refrigerated. Don't worry! This is good stuff! This is flavoring from the skin/fat and collagen from the bones

See? It's that easy. Enjoy!

Happy Broth Making
<3 TTT

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Tiny Tea Things

As and owner of over 70 varieties of tea, I decided that it was about time I started reviewing them. My collection of tea evolved as a method of coping through the many college struggles… specifically, starting after Freshmen year. Not only do I want to share my favorite (and not favorite) teas with you, I also would love another reason to buy and drink more teas.

Read more...

#tea on Instagram

Subscribe