Carrot Cake Oatmeal with Sweet Potato Croutons

11:00 AM


Some mornings you wake up and want the deliciousness of dessert, but the health of a breakfast. Enter Carrot Cake Oatmeal. I topped this with some Spiced Sweet Potato Croutons and pecans, but you can top this with anything from dried currants or raisins, a drizzle of honey or maple syrup, switch up the nuts, or fortify with your favorite protein powder or collagen peptides (I used Further Foods Collagen Peptides. You can use my code TINYTEATHINGS for 10% off of your purchase). The recipe below is not very sweet, so add a sweetener of your choice if you'd like it to be sweeter.

I made the Spiced Sweet Potato Croutons by peeling then cutting a sweet potato into small dices. I covered them in 2 tsp coconut oil, 1 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp each of nutmeg, ground ginger, and cardamom. Then, I baked them in the oven at 425F for 20 minutes.
Carrot Cake Oatmeal (2 servings):

Ingredients:
2 cups almond milk (I used unsweetened)
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 cup steel cut oats
1/2 cup grated carrots (about 2 large carrots)
1 dash each of ground ginger, nutmeg, cardamom
1 tsp molasses
Optional: for more sweetness, add 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup

Directions:
1) Bring almond milk to a boil in a small saucepan with the cinnamon stick
2) Slowly add in the oats and grated carrots
3) Let the mixture boil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently
4) Reduce to a simmer for about 20-30 minutes depending on preferred consistency, stirring occasionally
5) Add in the spices, molasses, and optional sweetener if you would like a sweet oatmeal.
6) Serve with sweet potato croutons and pecans, or toppings of your choice.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Tiny Tea Things

As and owner of over 70 varieties of tea, I decided that it was about time I started reviewing them. My collection of tea evolved as a method of coping through the many college struggles… specifically, starting after Freshmen year. Not only do I want to share my favorite (and not favorite) teas with you, I also would love another reason to buy and drink more teas.

Read more...

#tea on Instagram

Subscribe